Current:Home > InvestBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -AssetLink
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 04:05:47
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (35)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Wisconsin capital city sends up to 2,000 duplicate absentee ballots, leading to GOP concerns
- Pac-12 might be resurrected, but former power conference is no longer as relevant
- Why Madonna's Ex Jenny Shimizu Felt Like “a High Class Hooker” During Romance
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Climate Week 2024 underway in New York. Here's what to know.
- As an era ends, the city that was home to the Oakland A’s comes to grips with their departure
- Macklemore dropped from Vegas music festival after controversial comments at pro-Palestine concert
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- New Hampshire woman to plead guilty in the death of her 5-year-old son
Ranking
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Chick-fil-A makes pimento cheese available as standalone side for a limited time
- Jimmy Carter as a power-playing loner from the farm to the White House and on the global stage
- You Need to See JoJo Siwa’s NSFW Cover
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Bunny buyer's remorse leads Petco to stop selling rabbits, focus on adoption only
- A city proud of its role in facing down hatred confronts a new wave of violence
- Ken Paxton sues Biden administration over listing Texas lizard as endangered
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
JoJo Siwa's glittery jockstrap and chest plate outfit prompts mixed reactions
New Hampshire woman to plead guilty in the death of her 5-year-old son
The Best Birthday Gifts for Libras
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Home address of Detroit Lions head coach posted online following team’s playoff loss
US appeals court says man can sue Pennsylvania over 26 years of solitary confinement
Texas set to execute Travis James Mullis for the murder of his infant son. What to know.